Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Blog > Family Law > Where and How to File for Divorce in Terre Haute

Where and How to File for Divorce in Terre Haute

If you’re planning on filing for divorce in Terre Haute, Indiana, there are multiple steps you must take in the process. Going through a divorce is never easy to deal with emotionally, and depending on whether you and your spouse get along, the legalities of your divorce can go smoothly or become drawn out.

With the help of an attorney from Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm, you can feel supported every step of the way, no matter how long the process takes. We’ll ensure that your voice is heard on every matter, whether the divorce itself or the child support and custody battles that might follow.

Filing for Divorce

When filing for divorce in Indiana, the first step is to fill out the online forms that apply specifically to you and your spouse. You’ll either file for divorce with children or without children and file using mediation or litigation, which means you and your spouse agree on the terms of your divorce or you don’t.

Knowing where to file your forms can be confusing, but your attorney can help you through the legal process. In Vigo County, marriage dissolutions are handled in Vigo Superior Court Division 2. This is also where most family law issues will be dealt with in the event that you need to handle other matters such as child support, custody, parenting time, or protection orders.  

Mediation vs. Litigation

Depending on whether you and your spouse can communicate effectively regarding your divorce agreement, you’ll go to mediation or litigation. Mediation is a faster and more cost-effective option for couples who agree on the terms of their divorce and can write up an agreement using a mediator instead of a judge. Your lawyer can give you legal advice before the mediation takes place.

Litigation is also known as trial, and in the event that you and your spouse can’t come to an agreement outside of court, litigation will be the best option. Your lawyer can help express your sentiments and priorities to the judge, and the judge will hear both sides of the case. The judge will then help write up a divorce agreement involving the division of property and assets.

Contact a Divorce Lawyer

Going through a divorce can be a long and complicated process, or it can be quick and painless, depending on the situation. Hopefully, if you hire an attorney on the front end, you’ll feel more informed and prepared going forward. At Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm, we’ll do our best to support you every step of the way and make sure your divorce is at stress-free as possible.

We can also help you with any other family law concerns you may have as your divorce wraps up and other issues arise, including establishing paternity, custody, visitation, parenting time, and child support. If you’re ready to speak with a Terre Haute divorce lawyer about your case in further detail, you can schedule a free consultation today by filling out the contact form below or by calling 812-232-7400.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340