Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Blog > Criminal Defense > Requesting a Hardship License After an OWI in Indiana

Requesting a Hardship License After an OWI in Indiana

If you have been convicted of a drunk driving charge, more commonly referred to as an OWI in Indiana, you’re likely feeling the consequences of your conviction as we speak. You may be trying to figure out how you’ll pay the accrued fines, and how you will get to school or work if your license has been suspended.

Fortunately, in situations like these, you may be able to seek a hardship license that will allow you to drive during specific hours without breaking the law. Continue reading to learn more about how to qualify and apply for a hardship license in Indiana.

Moving Forward After a Drunk Driving Conviction

Having your driving privileges revoked—even for a short period of time—can have a serious impact on how you live your day-to-day life. For these reasons, the state of Indiana allows some OWI convicted drivers to obtain a hardship license so they can continue to drive when necessary.

The majority of drivers with suspended licenses will be approved for hardship licenses. However, if you failed to submit to a blood alcohol test, have previously violated the terms of a hardship license, or if you are not a resident of Indiana, you will not be eligible.

Furthermore, those who hold a CDL license may be granted hardship licenses under the condition that they do not operate a commercial vehicle while their license is still technically under suspension.

Petition for a Hardship License

Obtaining a hardship license isn’t going to be easy. You may even find that you need to file a petition more than once before you are granted driving privileges.

For example, if your license was suspended by both the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and the courts, you will need to file petition with both the BMV in the county where you reside and the court that originally suspended your license due to your OWI conviction.

What’s more, if the court that suspended your license is in a different county than the one you live in, a petition will need to be filed with the courts in both your own county and the one where the revocation was ordered.

After your petition for a hardship license has been received, you should be prepared to attend an in-person hearing where the courts will decide whether your request should be granted. Should your petition be granted, your BMV license status will be updated electronically to valid-conditional.

The new order will specify what times of day you are allowed to be driving and you will carry it in your vehicle at all times for the duration imposed by the court system.

Work with an Indiana Hardship License Attorney

When you have a previous OWI conviction and you need assistance obtaining the hardship license you need to carry on with your life, come in for a free consultation at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm.

Your Indiana OWI lawyer will be able to help you understand why your application may have been denied and what steps you’ll need to take to get your hardship license request approved. Just give our office a call at 812-232-7400 or complete the brief contact form provided below to set up your appointment today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340