Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Terre Haute Parental Relocation Lawyer

Terre Haute Parental Relocation Lawyer

Making the choice to move your place of residence is an important decision and can be full of stress. The rules of every state are different when it comes to notifying the courts and the other parent when you are planning to move. The situation can be very complex based on the child custody situation and parenting time arrangements.

Where to Start

If you are considering relocation, it is necessary for you to notify the court as well as the non-relocating parent about your intent to move far in advance. Upon notice, a hearing will be set to review and modify a custody order, parenting time order, grandparent visitation order, or child support order, if appropriate.

It is very important to consult with an attorney if you are thinking about relocation. If you are a non-relocating parent, you should also contact a Terre Haute Family Law Firm to protect your rights. An experienced family law attorney can advise you of your legal rights and options and represent your interests in court. Having knowledgeable legal counsel on your side can also help reduce the stress of the situation as they will work to protect your rights and the best interest of the child.

Court Consideration

The court will take many factors into consideration of your relocation notice. First and foremost, the court will take action to protect the best interests of the child. As a parent, this is most likely your primary concern as well. The distance between your new and old residence will be reviewed as it may pose a hardship to the non-relocating parent and can have a negative impact on parenting time and cause an undue financial hardship. The court also considers the impact that the relocation may have on the relationship between the child and both the relocating and the non-relocating parent.

Once all of these issues are reviewed at the hearing, the court may modify any appropriate agreements including the child custody agreement, parenting time agreement, grandparent visitation, or child support agreement.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340