Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > What to Do if Your Spouse Abuses Your Child

What to Do if Your Spouse Abuses Your Child

A parent’s worst nightmare is when their own spouse is the one abusing their child. When it happens, you might have no idea what you’re supposed to do.

Fortunately, you do have the right to protect yourself and your children from harm, even if it’s your spouse that’s being physically or emotionally abusive. Continue reading to learn more about what you should do if you discover that your spouse has been abusing your children.

Domestic Violence in Indiana

The first thing you’ll need to do is get your child to safety and file a police report. From there, go to the courts and file a petition for an order of protection against your spouse.

This protection can even be granted electronically if it’s more convenient for you. This order can protect both you and your child. Once it’s granted, your child’s abuser will be required to stay away from you and your child for the duration of the protection order.  

Obtaining Legal Custody

Next, you can seek physical and legal custody of your child. The order of protection will only last so long, and you’ll have to prove to the courts that your spouse has been abusing your child so you can protect them. This will be easier if your spouse is not the biological parent of your child.

The courts will take into consideration any history of domestic violence at home, and you will hopefully be granted sole physical and legal custody, which will go into effect once the order of protection has been lifted. An experienced family lawyer can help you through each of these steps.

Seek Help From an Indiana Child Custody Lawyer

Neither you nor your children should be subjected to abuse of any kind. When you need assistance obtaining an order of protection, or you need help securing custody of your children, reach out to a qualified Indiana child custody lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm.

You can do so by completing the brief contact form we’ve provided at the bottom of this page or by calling our office directly at 1-812-232-7400.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340