Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Parke County Divorce Lawyer

Parke County Divorce Lawyer

Not all marriages can last forever. When you find yourself in a marriage with an expiration date, reach out to an experienced Parke County divorce attorney who can help you through this difficult time.

No one enters a marriage expecting to get divorced. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes better for everyone involved to end the marriage before you spend your whole life in misery. Divorces can get messy. Many spouses feel that the other has wronged them in some way, which can create conflict during divorce proceedings.

A Parke County divorce lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm will bring to the table experience dealing with countless divorce cases. We will do our part to ensure that you aren’t taken advantage of and that the transition from married to divorced is as easy as it can be.

Establishing Child Custody and Support

Setting up child custody and support agreements is one common point of contention in divorce proceedings. One spouse typically ends up with physical custody of the children, while the other becomes the non-custodial parent.

You also need to discuss whether you’ll share joint custody of the children or one parent will have sole custody of the kids. The difference between the two is that one parent will have the power to make decisions regarding the children if sole custody is awarded. In joint custody, both parents have equal say in important decisions regarding the care and upbringing of their children.

Non-custodial parents will have visitation rights, and you will need to set up a clear visitation schedule that everyone can agree on. If you are unable to come to an agreement, the courts can make a decision for you. You’ll also need to have a discussion about child support payments. The non-custodial parent usually pays the custodial parent child support every month.

The amount of your child support payments—whether you’re paying them or receiving them—will depend on your combined income and other expenses you might have, such as supporting other children you and your ex do not share. No matter your situation, a divorce lawyer in Parke County can help you look out for your best interest and that of your children.

When You’ll Have to Pay Alimony

In cases where one spouse has been financially dependent on the other spouse, the court may order the spouse who earns more to provide alimony, otherwise known as spousal maintenance, for the other spouse. Alimony is used to financially support a spouse who is unable to provide for himself or herself following a divorce.

The ultimate goal is that the spouse receiving support will eventually be able to get by without alimony after finding gainful employment. The amount of support one spouse will be expected to pay will depend on a variety of factors. However, for the most part, the idea of alimony is that neither party will see a dramatic change in his or her lifestyle, despite the divorce.

Contact a Parke County Divorce Attorney

If you’re planning to end your marriage and you want to make sure your children are the top priority, or if you simply want to ensure that you aren’t taken advantage of during the proceedings, get in touch with a qualified lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm today.

You can schedule a no-obligation case assessment by giving a Parke County divorce lawyer a call at 1-812-232-7400 or filling out the quick contact form below.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340