Being charged with a sex crime is one of the most serious crimes you can be charged with in Indiana. To avoid having a permanent conviction on your record, seek help from a seasoned Vigo County sex crime attorney.
There are a number of different crimes that can be considered sex crimes, but being charged with any of them can ruin your reputation, regardless of whether you’re actually guilty. The penalties for such a conviction can be severe, which is why you need to do everything you can to avoid it.
With the help of an experienced Vigo County sex crime lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm, you can clear your name and beat the charges against you. We’ll work tirelessly to build your criminal defense case so your life isn’t permanently altered by such an egregious offense.
Types of Sex Crimes
Before we review what will happen if you are convicted of a sex crime, we should review what types of charges constitute a sex crime. We have included some of the most frequently seen sex crimes as follows:
- Rape – This occurs when an individual forces or engages in a sexual act without the consent of the other involved individual, including drug-facilitated rape.
- Statutory Rape – One of the most serious crimes you can be charged with is statutory rape, which occurs when an adult engages in sexual activity with someone below the legal age of consent, regardless of whether they consented.
- Sexual Assault – Any instance of unwanted sexual touching can be grounds for a sexual assault charge.
- Indecent Exposure – This happens when a person exposes their genitals in a public setting. This can include someone touching themselves in public or even a man relieving himself.
- Prostitution – When someone offers or engages in a sex act for monetary gain they are engaging in prostitution, which is a sex crime.
- Solicitation – Just as prostitution is a sex crime, requesting that someone perform or engage in sex act on another for payment will be grounds for a sex crime charge.
These are just a few of the most common sex crimes our clients have been charged with, and we’re prepared to build a compelling defense in your favor.
Outcomes of a Sex Crime Conviction
If you are convicted of a sex crime, the penalties will vary depending on which crime you’ve been charged with.
For example, if you are charged with rape, you’ll be facing a level 3 felony, punishable by a minimum of three years in prison and a required sex offender registration upon release from prison. If you were charged with date rape, where you are accused of drugging the victim, that would be considered a level 1 felony, and you’d be facing a minimum of twenty years in prison.
As you can see, the consequences of a sex crime conviction are significant, but a highly trained attorney can help you avoid or reduce your sentence.
Call an Experienced Vigo County Sex Crime Attorney
For assistance in beating a sex crime conviction, work with a Vigo County sex crime lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm. Simply call our office at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the convenient contact form we’ve included at the bottom of this page to schedule your no-obligation consultation today.