Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Vigo County Family Law Attorney > Vigo County Custody Modification Lawyer

Vigo County Custody Modification Lawyer

Is your current child custody arrangement no longer working for your family? If so, you can partner with an experienced Vigo County custody modification attorney to help you petition the court for modification.

You may already have a custody order in place, but life happens, and you need to make changes to your custody arrangement. Hopefully, you and your child’s other parent can agree on a new plan and have the proposed changes granted by the courts. But, if you aren’t able to work things out on your own, the judge will need to decide for you.

At Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm, we are committed to helping families in need resolve their family law disputes so they can move forward with their lives. A Vigo County custody modification lawyer from our firm will work to do what’s in the best interests of your children so you can successfully adapt your custody plan to your current needs.

Filing a Custody Modification Request

The most important component of your child custody modification request is the determination that your proposed changes will be in the best interests of your children. So much so that if the court system doesn’t feel the modification is what’s best for your kids, you can expect your request to be denied.

You could be seeking these changes because you want to spend more time with your children, for example, or your children with their other siblings. Or, you could need to make changes to the days that you are seeing your kids to accommodate for extracurricular activities and social events that your children are interested in attending.

In any case, as long as your proposition is for the benefit of your children, you should have no issues getting your custody modification request approved. You Indiana family attorney will file a petition to modify your current child custody arrangement in court, at which point your child’s other parent will need to respond to your request.

If they consent to the changes, the judge will make the new order binding. But, if the other parent contests your proposal, you can expect to attend mediation or head back to court.

Establishing Your New Custody Arrangement

The goal is to be able to work together with your child’s parent to make the necessary changes to your existing custody plan. In mediation, you can go into further detail about why you are seeking these changes, and your child’s other parent can discuss why they don’t feel any changes should be made.

Attorneys typically do not attend mediation sessions with their clients, but they can prepare you for what’s to come. If you’re still unable to reach an agreement, the judge can order a custody evaluation, where the judge will determine what’s in the best interests of your children.

In a custody evaluation, the judge will either approve, deny, or make further modifications to your plan as they deem necessary. Your lawyer will do everything they can to ensure the modifications you requested are approved.

Speak With a Vigo County Custody Modification Attorney

If you need help modifying your existing child custody arrangement, get in touch with a seasoned Vigo County custody modification lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm. You can do so by filling out the brief contact form below or by calling our office directly at 1-812-232-7400.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340