Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Understanding Grandparent Rights in Indiana

Understanding Grandparent Rights in Indiana

Many people are under the impression that grandparents do not have any legal rights over their grandchildren. However, in certain circumstances, grandparents do have rights and may need to exercise them in order to maintain a relationship with the child or, in some cases, protect their well-being. 

Read on to learn more about what rights Grandparents have in Indiana and the requirements for exercising these rights.

What Rights Do Indiana Grandparents Have?

There are several cases in which grandparents have the right to visitation with their grandchildren, and the courts will certainly grant these rights if it is in the best interests of the grandchildren. However, there are only specific circumstances under which a grandparent can request visitation rights.

First, this can be done if the grandchildren’s parent or parents have passed away. You may be interested in obtaining child custody versus grandparent’s rights if both parents are deceased. 

Other instances in which grandparents can request rights include the parents of the grandchildren divorcing, or if the grandchildren were born to parents who were not married but have established paternity.

How to Obtain Your Rights as a Grandparent

To secure your grandparent’s rights, you will need to petition the court and explain to a judge why you are seeking grandparent’s rights and how your relationship to the children involved will be in their best interests. Your attorney can assist you with your petition and obtaining the grandparent’s rights you may be entitled to.

Meet With an Indiana Family Law Attorney

If you are interested in learning more about grandparent’s rights, or if you have reason to believe you’ll need to be petitioning against grandparents rights, reach out to an experienced Indiana family law attorney at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm

We provide free consultations to families struggling with disputes across the state of Indiana. You can take advantage of this opportunity by calling our office at 1-812-232-7400 or completing the brief contact form we have included at the bottom of this page. 

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340