Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Terre Haute Family Law FAQ

Terre Haute Family Law FAQ

Not all families stay together. Sometimes, our differences are irreconcilable. It’s a sad but inescapable truth. And resolving a family law dispute is rarely an easy process.

Divorce and child custody can be complicated, especially if you’re facing pushback from your former spouse. If you have any questions, see the FAQ below or speak to a lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm.

Do I Have to Have a Reason for Filing for Divorce?

In Indiana, you’re only required to list “irretrievable breakdown of marriage,” which can cover many situations. You’re not required to provide more information. However, a spouse who is incarcerated for a felony, declared insane for at least two years, or impotent at the time of marriage can also be cause to file for divorce.

How Is Custody Determined?

Custody is based on a large number of factors, such as the child’s age and gender, the adjustments the child would need to make, and any signs of mistreatment by either parent. Indiana courts may also ask the child and parents about their wishes for custody, which will help them make decisions that satisfy all parties.

What Visitation Rights Will Each Parent Have?

Visitation rights are an important aspect of divorce in Indiana, and both parents will be a part of the proceedings unless those rights are waived. Both parents will have the right to communicate with the child and participate in the child’s important life events. Generally, Indiana encourages both parents to share in the child’s life and responsibilities after a divorce.  

What Are the Responsibilities of Non-Custodial Parents?

For a non-custodial parent, certain responsibilities may be decided through mediation. For example, many non-custodial parents may contribute to health expenses and must provide insurance cards to the child and other parent. Other issues, like transportation costs and relocation, will be decided through both parents and their lawyers.

What if My Former Spouse Isn’t Paying Child Support?

Avoiding child support payments is serious, and a qualified lawyer can help. The order to pay child support may be enforced through a letter of withholding to the non-custodial parent’s employer or a suspended drivers license until payments are resumed.

Connect With a Terre Haute Family Lawyer

If you still have questions, that’s perfectly fine. Family law is complex, and you may have unique questions about the situation you’re in. Fortunately, the lawyers at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm are prepared to handle all the questions you’ve got.

If you’re struggling with your case and have questions, call us at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out our online contact form at the bottom of this page.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340