Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Terre Haute Custody Modification Lawyer

Terre Haute Custody Modification Lawyer

When you’re unhappy with your current child custody arrangement, modifying the agreement could be worth considering. Consult with a Terre Haute custody modification attorney to make the adjustments you need.

If parents of children don’t stay in a marriage or relationship, they often need to set up a child custody arrangement in which both parents have set time to spend with the kids. However, an agreement that was reached when the child or children were five might not continue to work as the kids grow up.

In these situations, you might try to work with the other parent of your children to reach a new custody plan. When this doesn’t work and you need help from the courts to come to a new custody arrangement, contact an experienced Terre Haute custody modification lawyer at the Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm. We will advocate for the best interests of both you and your children.

File a Petition to Modify Child Custody

When seeking a modification to your current custody plan, we’ll need to prove to the court that the modifications you are requesting are in the best interests of the child. Otherwise the request will likely be denied.

Some reasons that the court would be willing to modify the custody plan for include the child wanting to spend more time with the other parent, changes to the child’s schooling or other extracurricular activities, or fostering a healthy relationship with other siblings and family members.

To begin, your custody modification attorney will file a petition to modify custody with the courts. The other parent will have a chance to respond by either agreeing to or contesting your requests.

If the other parent does not agree, will move forward with mediation and a potential hearing in front of the judge.

Coming to an Child Custody Agreement

It would be better for everyone involved if you and the other parent of your child or children are able to come to an agreement without having to go before a judge. In mediation, we can discuss your reasons for requesting a modification to your custody plan with the other parent and answer any objections he or she might have.

Should the other parent choose to refuse to make any changes to the custody plan, we can proceed to a court hearing where we will need to provide evidence to the judge that these proposed changes are going to benefit the child or children involved.

In some instances, it may even be appropriate to request that the court conduct a custody evaluation and make a recommendation from there. However, doing so puts the decision into the hands of a third party, and they may recommend that the arrangement stay the same or make suggested changes that don’t work for you.

Work With a Terre Haute Child Custody Modification Lawyer

For assistance proposing a modification to your current custody arrangements, reach out to a knowledgeable Terre Haute custody modification lawyer at the Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm.

You can contact us by telephone at 1-812-232-7400 or by filling out the convenient contact form at the bottom of this page to schedule your free consultation today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340