Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Obtaining a Protection Order in Indiana

Obtaining a Protection Order in Indiana

Whether the abuser is a spouse or someone you barely know, you might be concerned for your safety because of someone else’s actions. Worse, you might feel that your children are in danger, and you need something to protect your family from the threatening actions of someone else.

You may need a restraining order. But obtaining a protection order in Indiana isn’t always easy. Preventing contact with the person in question is vital, so it’s important to make sure you obtain the protection order you’re after. You may need a lawyer from the Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm to guide you through the process of getting your protection order.

Do I Need a Protection Order?

A protection order can be put in place for a time to protect you from the actions of another person. So, if another person has already caused you harm, it’s important that you get protection from further harm. This includes harmful actions like domestic abuse, stalking, and sexual violence—all of which could cause trauma and fear that affects your life.

You may need to file a protection order in Indiana if you feel that your life is endangered by the person in question. But what if you are a minor or need to protect your child, who isn’t old enough to sign legal documents?

Indiana does grant legal guardians the option to file a petition for a restraining order for a minor. These orders can include family members who committed family or domestic violence. If you’re concerned about your safety or the safety of your child, consider speaking to an attorney about what else might be necessary for your protection order.

The Protection Order Process

Once you’ve decided that you or your loved ones need a protection order, you’ll then need to file a petition for a protection order. When you’re seeking help with your protection order, a lawyer can help ensure your safety and privacy.

First, you’ll need to fill out your Petition for an Order of Protection. This can be done through an advocate, or you can speak to the circuit court clerk for help filing. Filing can be done electronically.

Once it’s filed, your petition should be active for some time. While either party can speak to a judge about the length of the protection order and further action, the information about your abuser or attacker should be available to law enforcement agencies for your protection.

We Can Help

Dealing with domestic abuse or violence can be a painful, frightening experience, and you’ll need protection for yourself and your family. Fortunately, a lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm can help you obtain a protection order in Indiana.

When you feel that you are in danger, contact the attorney who can guide you through the protection order process and get you the help you need. Ready to obtain your protection order? Call 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the online contact form below to speak with an experienced lawyer about your case.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340