Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > How Can a Father Get Custody of His Child in Indiana?

How Can a Father Get Custody of His Child in Indiana?

If you are an Indiana dad who is interested in obtaining custody of his children, but aren’t sure how the state’s family laws will work for or against you, continue reading to learn more about how you can go about seeking custody of your child. We describe why it is important to establish paternity and the primary concern of the courts when settling family disputes. 

Establishing Paternity

If you are interested in obtaining custody of a child, paternity will need to be established. For married couples getting divorced, this may not be necessary, as it will be presumed that the husband is also the father of the children. 

However, no matter what your relationship status with the children’s mother, obtaining a paternity test can only help you in the process of obtaining father’s rights.

The Best Interests of the Children

In previous years, when the parents of a child or children were not in a relationship, it was assumed that the children would be residing with their mother primarily, and that the father would get simple visitation and pay child support

However, this is no longer the case, and a father who has reason to believe that it is in the children’s best interests for him to be granted custody can certainly exercise his right to seek custody

The Indiana family courts recognize that children having quality time with both parents is often in their best interests, so if you are of sound mind and capability to raise your kids, you may stand a strong chance in court.

Reach Out to an Indiana Father’s Rights Lawyer

If you need help establishing paternity of a child you believe to be yours, or if you are interested in seeking custody of your child as their father, get help doing so by consulting with a qualified Indiana father’s rights lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm. You can call our office at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the online contact form below to schedule your free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340