Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Family Law Attorney > Can I Take My Child on Vacation if I Have Joint Custody?

Can I Take My Child on Vacation if I Have Joint Custody?

When you share joint custody of your children with their other parent, both parents are expected to work together to make decisions regarding their children’s upbringing. They will also both have set times where the children will spend quality time with both of their parents individually.

However, these details can become complicated when you want to bring your child on vacation. Continue reading to learn more about what could happen if you want to bring your child on vacation within Indiana or out-of-state.

Vacations Within the State

In nearly every joint custody arrangement, either parent can take their child within the state for vacations or day trips. Now, if you were going to want to move far away within the state, then this might be an issue. But, generally speaking, you are legally allowed to bring your child on vacation within the state, especially if the other parent has no problem with you doing so.

If the other parent does have an issue with the trip in question, then you can speak with your lawyer to determine whether further action will need to be taken to get permission from the courts.

Taking Your Child Out of the State or Country

If your child’s other parent has no qualms about you taking the children on a vacation outside of the state or even the country, you won’t run into any issues doing so. Although it’s always a good idea to get the other parent’s consent in writing.

Remember, you should never bring your child out-of-state or country without the consent of their other parent—even if you share joint custody.

In the event that the other parent refuses to give their permission, you can file a request in court that allows you to go out-of-state with your children for vacation. The other parent will need to explain to the courts why going out-of-state is not in the best interests of the children. If you find yourself in this situation, get in touch with your lawyer as soon as possible for assistance.

Reach Out to an Indiana Child Custody Lawyer

Even if your child’s other parent gives the go-ahead for you to bring your children on an out-of-state vacation, getting this consent in writing can protect both you and your children.

Work with an experienced Indiana child custody lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm to ensure that your existing child custody arrangement isn’t in jeopardy. You can give our office a call at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the quick contact form below to schedule your free case review today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340