Many laws can be confusing for the average citizen to understand, and the DUI laws in Indiana can be especially difficult to comprehend. Figuring out whether you’ve had too much to drink before driving is difficult unless you happen to have your own personal breath test.
Even if you do know what the legal limit is, how do you know if you’ve surpassed it? Many people who are charged with a DUI report that they felt perfectly fine to drive home.
Unfortunately, even if you are not drunk, you can still be charged with driving under the influence. It’s all subjective and usually based on a police officer’s opinion of your intoxication level and driving abilities. So what do you do?
Understanding the DUI Laws in Indiana
The first step is to educate yourself on the laws. Ignorance of the law is not a defense, so don’t try to tell an officer that you “didn’t know.” It won’t get you anywhere.
Here’s an in-depth look at DUI offenses in Indiana:
- A DUI for a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) between .08 and .15 is a Class C misdemeanor.
- A DUI with a BAC above .15 (or if the driving behavior endangers someone) is a Class A misdemeanor.
- A DUI with a passenger younger than eighteen, or a DUI with prior convictions, is a Level 6 felony if no other aggravating factors present.
- DUIs with serious bodily injury are Level 6 felonies—or Level 5 felonies if a prior conviction involved serious injuries or there was a passenger younger than eighteen.
If you are convicted of a DUI in Indiana, you could face the following consequences:
- The first offense will result in fines, jail for up to one year, possible probation, license suspension for up to two years, and required substance abuse treatment.
- The second offense could result in between five days and three years behind bars, license suspension for up to two years, a fine of up to $10,000, possible probation, and substance abuse treatment.
You Can Fight a DUI Charge in Indiana
With the help of a DUI attorney at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm, you can avoid a DUI conviction. Experienced lawyers understand the DUI laws in Indiana and may be able to get your charge reduced or dismissed.
Give us a call to discuss your DUI case. Dial 1-812-232-7400 or enter your information into the contact form below.