Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Divorce Lawyer > What am I Entitled To in My Divorce?

What am I Entitled To in My Divorce?

Once you’ve come to the realization that your marriage is over, your next step will be to file for divorce. When that happens, you’re sure to wonder what you are entitled to moving forward.

If your spouse earned more money, you might be under the impression that they’ll get everything and you’ll be left with nothing to your name. Fortunately, that isn’t the case. Read on to learn more about what you are entitled to when seeking a divorce in Indiana.

Equitable Distribution in Indiana

Indiana is an equitable distribution state, which means that your marital property, assets, and debts will be distributed equitably between both spouses. That doesn’t necessarily mean that everything you have will be divided equally, but that both spouses will be treated fairly and reasonably when distributing property and assets.

For example, maybe your spouse has already purchased another home while you were still legally married, but they are insisting on keeping the home you shared together. Indiana courts could take into consideration that your spouse already has another home and grant you possession of the home you shared.

Your attorney will ensure that you retain each and every asset you’re entitled to during your divorce proceedings.

Securing Spousal Support

Depending on the circumstances of your divorce, you could also be entitled to spousal support. If one spouse earns less income and needs financial assistance to maintain the standard of living shared as a couple, this spouse could be granted alimony.

Alimony can be ordered temporarily, while the lesser-earning spouse establishes financial independence; or permanently, if the lesser-earning spouse is incapable of caring for themselves. Working with a lawyer is the best way to ensure you aren’t taken advantage of by your soon-to-be ex-spouse during negotiations.

Get in Touch With an Indiana Divorce Lawyer

If you need legal representation to protect your rights during your divorce proceedings, reach out to an experienced Indiana divorce lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm. Claim your initial case review today when you call our office at 1-812-232-7400 or complete the online contact form we’ve included at the bottom of this page.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340