Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Divorce Lawyer > Enforcing Indiana Spousal Maintenance Orders

Enforcing Indiana Spousal Maintenance Orders

After your divorce has been finalized, in cases where one spouse was earning a great deal more than the other, spousal maintenance, otherwise known as alimony, can be ordered. However, there are many instances in which the paying spouse may not continue making their court ordered payments. 

When this happens, you may need to take action against them so you can obtain the alimony that is rightfully yours. Read on to learn more about how to get your ex to comply with an existing alimony order. 

How to Get Your Ex to Comply With an Alimony Order

There are a number of different reasons why the alimony-paying spouse has either never begun making payments or suddenly stopped making payments. 

Generally speaking, if you’ve been receiving spousal support and have suddenly stopped receiving your alimony, it may be due to a job loss, illness or injury. Here, it may be wise to work with your ex to come to an agreement on getting caught up on the alimony you’re owed, with the assistance of an attorney. 

However, if your spouse is simply refusing to pay or get caught up on their spousal maintenance payments, then the courts can step in and take action by finding them in contempt of court. Some of the ways the courts will compel your ex to comply with the existing alimony order include the following:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Estate confiscation
  • Money judgement
  • Writ of execution (access to bank account funds and other assets)
  • Jail time
  • Imposition of additional fees

Get in Touch With an Indiana Divorce Attorney

When you are interested in holding your ex-spouse accountable for the spousal maintenance they’ve been ordered to pay you, reach out to an experienced Indiana divorce lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm as soon as possible. You can claim your complimentary consultation by filling out the brief contact form below or by giving our office a call at 1-812-232-7400.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340