Close Menu
Rowdy G.Williams Law Firm P.C.
812-232-7400 Click Here To Call Us Now For
A Same-Day Consultation
Serving Vigo, Clay, Sullivan, Parke, Vermillion, Greene,
Knox, Putnam and surrounding counties
Home > Terre Haute Divorce Lawyer > How Do I Change My Divorce Agreement?

How Do I Change My Divorce Agreement?

When you made your divorce agreement, you might have been thinking that it was best for you and your former spouse, as well as any children involved. Unfortunately, your situation might have changed, and now you’ll need to amend your agreement for the future.

This can be complicated without a lawyer by your side, even if you and your former spouse agree about the situation. If you’re having trouble with your case, reach out to Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm for help amending your divorce agreement.

Making Changes to Child Support and Custody

For many people seeking to modify a divorce agreement, something has changed that makes paying child support difficult or impossible. Maybe you lost your job, or perhaps a review of child support rules showed you that you’ve been paying too much or too little.

One of your first steps should be proving that you need to make changes to the original divorce decree—a lawyer can help you with this. Whether you’re seeking a change in custody rulings, child support, or other ongoing terms in the agreement, there must be a legitimate reason, such as the following:

  • You want to make a long-distance move.
  • You’re jobless or in a lower-paying position.
  • You believe your former spouse may be mistreating your child.

When the terms of your divorce are no longer reasonable, you can then act on your case. If you’re not sure there’s been a large enough change, see a lawyer for help determining whether changing your divorce agreement is possible.

Appealing a Divorce Judgment

Once you’re certain that you’re ready to appeal, you’ll need to file a motion to change your current status. If you and your spouse agree or have had mediation from a lawyer outside of court, this process will be simpler.

With the help of a lawyer, you’ll present the facts of how your situation has changed since the various divorce agreements began—and how they’re impossible for you to maintain now. A lawyer can highlight important facts and prepare the evidence for your motion.

The judge will then make a judgment on your case. Making sure you clearly need the requested changes will be the key to success.  

Help With Your Divorce Agreement

Sometimes, the agreement you made before isn’t appropriate for you today. When that happens, changing your divorce agreement may be what you need, but how do you do it?

Often, seeking the help of a Terre Haute divorce lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm can help you prove that the current agreement no longer works and that you need a change. When you’re struggling with your motion to modify a divorce agreement, give us a call at 1-812-232-7400 or fill out the form below.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Address 1117 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute, IN 47807
Telephone 812-232-7400
FAX 812-235-7340