Vigo County Move-Away Request Lawyer

When you and your children’s other parent are no longer together and one of you wants to move out of the state, you’ll need a move-away request lawyer in Vigo County by your side.

State law requires that parents who have joint custody of their children get the permission of the other parent before the children involved are moved out-of-state. If you’re interested in moving to another state, you’ll first need to submit a move-away request to the courts. However, if it were always as easy as submitting a form, you wouldn’t need a lawyer to fight for you.

A Vigo County move-away request lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm can help you get your request approved or fight back if your child’s other parent is trying to move out of the state without your consent. We’ll ensure that in any scenario, your children’s best interests remain the top priority.

Filing Your Move-Away Request in Court

If you are the parent interested in moving to another state, you’ll need to file a move-away request in family court. The judge is going to take a number of factors into consideration when reviewing your request, particularly if the other parent has objections to your move. Some of these factors might include the following:

  • Which parent has primary physical and legal custody
  • If there is an existing joint custody arrangement
  • The relationship the children have with both parents
  • How stable the children’s home life is
  • Where the children attend school
  • Other family relationships the children have
  • The child’s mental and emotional well-being

When considering a request, the judge will primarily focus on whether moving out-of-state is in the best interests of the child. If you are contesting the fact that your child’s other parent wants to move them out of state, we’ll be prepared to gather evidence that demonstrates that the move is not to the child’s benefit so the judge has no choice but to deny the move-away request.

What Happens if Your Petition Is Approved or Denied?

If the petition to move out-of-state is approved by the judge, the next step will be to implement a new child custody, visitation, and parenting plan so the children are still able to spend as much quality time with their other parent as possible.

However, if the petition is denied, you’ll have the opportunity to file an appeal with the family courts on an individual basis. If you find that your move-away request has been denied, or if the request has been approved against your wishes as the child’s other parent, get help from a qualified move-away request lawyer in Vigo County as soon as possible.

A Vigo County Move-Away Request Attorney Can Help

For assistance in filing or fighting a move-away petition, get in touch with a seasoned Vigo County move-away request lawyer at Rowdy G. Williams Law Firm right away. Call our office at 1-812-232-7400 or complete the convenient contact form below to schedule a complimentary consultation at your earliest convenience.